Dumbbell Step Up- Frontal and Lateral
The primary movers for this exercise are the gluteus maximus and quadriceps. If you are a beginner, use only your body weight for this exercise.
- Stand in front of a platform with feet shoulder width apart.
- Step onto platform with one leg and keep your toes pointed straight ahead.
- Push through your front heel and stand upright while bringing your opposite leg toward chest.
- Return lifted leg to the ground while bending knee slightly when landing.
- To challenge yourself, do this exercise laterally as shown in the beginning of this video.
- This video is shown using dumbbells. Holding dumbbells allows you to work your upper and lower body simultaneously while using your core for stabilization.
- If you notice your form is compromised ( knees turns inward), do not use the dumbbells and decrease the height of the platform.
Challenge yourself and try 3 sets of 10 on each leg.