Looking for an upper body exercise that works a variety of muscles at once? If so, this is a great multi-joint exercise that strengthens your back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, and core muscles. Raising the dumbbell to the ceiling not only strengthens your back and shoulder muscles, but it also forces you to tighten your core muscles to stabilize yourself. If this exercise is too challenging, try it without weights. If it is too easy, increase the dumbbell weight or increase the reps. Start off with 3 sets of 10 if you can.
1) Begin in a push-up position with your feet shoulder width apart.
2) Hold a dumbbell in each hand and and line your shoulders up with your hands.
3) Start the exercise by raising the dumbbell up to your rib cage and then rotate over and press the dumbbell up towards the ceiling.
4) Lower the dumbbell back down to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
5) Once you lower the dumbbell back down after your first rep, perform a push up and start the exercise over again.