Cook time: 50 minutes ( 20 minutes of cooking the bread and 30 minutes of cooking the muffins)
Total: 60 minutes
Yields: 24 muffins
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2) Cup the whole wheat bread into 1/2 inch slices and place on baking sheet/pan.
3) Place the bread in the oven for 20 minutes or until brown ( After 10 minutes, move the bread around in the pan so it is cooked evenly).
4) While the bread is cooking, cook the ground turkey on the stove top until lightly brown (10 minutes).
5) When the ground turkey is done cooking, add to a large bowl and put aside.
6) On the same pan, cook the onions and celery in 1 tbsp of olive oil until lightly brown on both sides.
7) Add the whole wheat bread to the ground turkey in the large bowl and mix well.
8) Add the onions, celery, and poultry seasoning to the large bowl.
9) Add the chicken stock and eggs to the large bowl and mix well( Whisk the egg and chicken stock together before adding to the mixture).
10) Spray the muffin tins with nonstick spray and add 1/4 cup of the mixture to the muffin tins. ( I used the bottom of my measuring spoon to push down the mixture in the muffin tin)
11) Cook for 25-30 minutes until brown on top.
12) Enjoy now, save some for later, or freeze for the future!
Tips to stay on track for the Holidays:
1) Do not go to the party hungry. Have something small like a piece of fruit or some veggies before you go to the party so that you can have a little of what you enjoy at the party without overdoing it.
2) Have a plan: decide what you are going to have and how much.
3) Fill half your plate with nonstarchy veggies such as the delicious salad offered.
4) If you want to have a little something that you enjoy like the pumpkin pie or mac and cheese, put a sample size on your plate. Do not deprive yourself; however, find a good balance.
5) Do not socialize around the food table. Hold a water bottle in your hand to prevent you from grazing throughout the day.
6) When you are done your meal, move around a little rather than lying down.
7) Do not skip meals and do not "save" your calories for the party. Eat a healthy breakfast and lunch to help fill you up throughout the day.
8) Track your food intake for the day to help you stay on track.