What is a burpee? A burpee is a full body exercise that requires no equipment. You may have heard it described as a "squat thrust." The original burpee is a combination of exercises such as a squat, push up and vertical jump. Therefore, it is a great cardiovascular exercise that focuses on strengthening many different muscle groups such as your quads, hamstrings, glutes, hip flexors, core, biceps, triceps, and chest. The candlestick burpee adds more of a variation to this exercise. You will be forced to engage your core muscles in this exercise when you roll back and point your toes to the sky and then roll forward without using your hands (if you can). This exercise can be performed anywhere and does not require any equipment. All you need is your body weight to produce results.
1) Start this exercise standing up with your feet together and hands by your side.
2) Begin by squatting down with your arms in front of you and roll onto your back until your toes are pointing to the sky with your hands over your head next to your ears ( Do not fall straight on your back- make sure your glutes hit the ground first and roll back one vertabra at a time)
3) Roll back to the squatting position without using your hands to push yourself up.
4) Place your hands in front of you and jump into a push up.
5) Once you are done the push up, use your body to push yourself back into the squatting position to repeat the exercise.