Exercise of the Week: 11.16.15
Stability Ball Plank with Leg Lifts
Can you tell from all of my posts that I never get sick of planks? In my previous exercise of the week post, I mentioned that planks are effective because they increase your core strength, balance and muscle endurance. The leg lift in this exercise improves your stability throughout the glutes and hamstrings. Why not work your backside while strengthening your arm and ab muscles? If this exercise is too challenging or you notice you are compromising your form, do this exercise on the ground without the stability ball.
1) Lie on your stomach on the stability ball and walk your hands out until the ball in under your shins/top of your feet.
2) Brace your core muscles and hold yourself in the plank position. ( Picture on the right)
3) Lift one leg off of the stability ball while squeezing your glutes and then lower your leg back down to the stability ball.
4) Repeat for 10 reps before switching to the other leg.
5) Try 3 sets of 10 on each side.