What better way to get into the Halloween spirit than to have some fun with creative recipes! These are a great healthy alternative to bring to a party and/or a great way to get your kids to eat some veggies.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups of water or broth
-4 large orange bell peppers
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 lb of lean ground turkey ( organic if possible)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 onion- diced
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes
-1/4 cup feta cheese or cheese of your choice
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 425ºF
2) Bring 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water/broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed. (This will take about 15-20 minutes. While this is cooking, follow the steps below)
2) Add 1 tsbp of olive oil to a separate cooking pan.
3) Sauté onion and garlic for 3-5 minutes until soft.
4) Pour the onion and garlic in a separate bowl and cook the ground turkey on the same pan. Cook ground turkey until well done and add a pinch of pepper and salt.
5) Add the 1 can of petite diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and ground cumin to the ground turkey and stir for 2-3 minutes.
6) Once the quinoa is done cooking, add to the ground turkey mixture.
7) Let the mixture sit and start to carve your peppers with the pumpkin faces.( Cut the top off and cut the seeds out of the middle of the pepper before stuffing)
8) Once you are done making the pumpkin faces, stuff the pepper with the ground turkey and quinoa mixture.
9) Top the peppers evenly with the cheese of your choice.
10) Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.